Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday News and Updates 11/11

Happy veterans' day!  Competitions are exactly one week away!  I can't wait to see what you have been up to with those dances....who's nervous?  

Well, things are heating up around here as there are more things to cover.  I'd like to take a moment to talk about coverage of the season and what will be happening around here as there seems to be speculation floating around.  

  • Will my private, personal comments in meetings, at events, or just around with you be shared here?  
Absolutely not.  Erin Kruesi person/coach and MN HS Dance Team are two different things.  If you don't want something to be shared that is your personal business - I respect that.  If you wish to make official statements you WOULD like shared regarding just about anything - my email "door" is open!  I'd love to have coaches responses to their performances after meets too. 
  • Are you going to critisize judges decisions?  How about dancer's performances?
No.  This is not the place for negative comments regarding official decisions, MSHSL or MADT actions, dancers performances or behaviors.  Coverage is going to be focused around the positive, with coaches allowed to say constructive or critical things about their own teams' performance - but not about others or to express frustration with judging or officials.  
  •  Do you represent the opinion of MSHSL, JAM, MADT or anyone else?
No - the articles here are my opinions and those of the guest writers and interviewees.  There is no endorsement of content or oversight of it by anyone and the accuracy of the content is done to the best of my ability, but not guaranteed.  The site is paid for, run, and managed by myself (Erin Kruesi) and is not for profit at this point. Why no affiliations?  This allows me to have an opinion free from reprisals from parent interests, therefore getting the most accurate information out there to serve the dance community (or such is the goal)  This is NOT a gossip column and comments are monitored for fairness, ethics, and standards that I set forth as professional in my opinion.  This will not be a You Tube style free for all. 
  • How can I get my event covered?
Send us your pre-meet information!  I'd love to post info about schedule of the day, performance orders, details, results, comments on the day, and of course, pictures!  Information on how to get a reporter in is always helpful too :) There was a PDF that went out via email to coaches and schools hosting events this year on all the procedures -- if you didn't get it and would like a copy, email mnhsdanceteam@gmail.com
  •  How do you plan to report scores?
However they get sent to me.  I'd prefer to have as many placements as possible in all divisions.  Ideally, there would also be a final rank score associated with the placements too.  This is done in several papers across the state and I think it is the most professional way to report a score, without a full scoresheet.  IE: AAA Kick at Eastview Invitational: 1. St. Anthony (rank 4) 2. De La Salle (6) 3. White Bear Lake (12) 4. East Ridge (12.5)
  • I don't like it that you shared the MADT meeting passed proposals, why did you do that? & What should I do if I have questions about something else you've covered?
MADT is a members only organization to which I am a part of as Erin Kruesi, dance coach.  I reported on the event this year based on a president set John Millea at the MSHSL board of directors meeting coverage he has instituted.  (example here)  Finished business of the meetings, even when membership is not public, is considered fair game for discussion as the membership is not sworn to secrecy and the business is considered concluded.  I will not pre-publish proposals, talk about MADT only business (pertaining only to changes within the group), or report on dead ideas, internal discussion and No votes. I feel I should share information that effects the entire dance community outside of MADT once the organizations formal voting has concluded.  I do not wish to sway votes, make judgement on any proposals passed or failed, but rather share the FACTS as they are made official and now effect non-members.  MADT doesn't approve of my posting anything covered in the meeting (at this point) and we will be discussing this issue further prior to the next meeting. If you have questions about the other items I cover, talk directly to the event organizer, judges association, MSHSL, MADT, or whoever has direct control over the event, issue, or action reported on.  I am not the source for answers requiring more details.    
  • What else can I expect to see this season?  Will you do predictions? A coaches poll? Evaluations of dances? 
At this point I expect to do more than a dry MSHSL pre-state review of qualifiers (have you actually read that and learned a darn thing of interest?) but I won't be making a prediction in a specific way either.  I like to mention who is "looking good" and who might be getting "hot" or might be "leaving the door open" -- something like that.  See my State 2011 coverage for an example.  Its not meant to pick a winner, put pressure on judges to do certain actions, or say I'm always right.  Please, surprise me with your awesome dances!  Judges, be the professional adults you are and make a decision regardless of what I say or think.  My intent will be to recognize accomplishments in all forms - catch my eye and get mentioned!  There will not be a coaches poll at this time (but that would be a normal thing to do for other sports) and I won't be breaking down your dances for readers - you can hire your own consultants to do that!  
  • Is there a purpose to all this?  What are we gaining by going this route?
For ages now Dance Team has tried to get sports section coverage with limited success across the state.  This is an opportunity to provide that coverage to those who don't have it, expand it for those who do, and ultimately present a picture of how to do this successfully to big name reporters and media outlets. As the MSHSL moves to increase its online and media presence, we don't want to be left out!   This has influence on how the state tournament coverage will be presented as well - and isn't that overdue!  This site is a test project to further pitch ideas forward for the future, not just to entertain the creator or some such thing. 
That's it for now!  Lets have a successful year!

No comments:

Post a Comment