Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Product Review


Product Review: Behringer EUROLIVE B205D 

Normally when I think about music “boxes” for dance teams, I have visions of huge karaoke machines on carts being lugged around by some poor coach or manager – sometimes I see two person teams taking one of those off a school bus in the middle an icy January morning.  (yuck)  I think in the time I have coached I’ve never found something I’ve really been happy with.  Small equipment wasn’t powerful, big equipment was a pain, and most of all – it was very expensive.  So I have to share with you all that I have discovered a great back-saver this fall that could very well exceed my expectations.  It’s called the Behringer EUROLIVE B205D.  Why am I loving this?  Let’s take a look….


·         Portability:  This thing is 7lbs.  (7!)  This means I can carry it in one hand without wishing I had a cart.  I also keep mine in a very nice audio bag with padded sides and a handle – keeps it safe, clean, small, and easy to transport.  The audio bag also carries the cords, my headset, and a first aid kit so I’m saving space and have the things I need with me at all times. 
Extra Case Doubles as First Aid Kit and Extra Storage

·         Powerful:  Its 150 watts.  The nearest regular “boom box” was 60 watts and the same price.  It’s a real PA quality speaker that can fill the gym, cafeteria, or studio room no problem.  I used the volume at ½ of maximum for a show in a cafeteria.  

·         All-in-one:  This is a speaker, mixer, and multi-input device in one.  All the inputs are in the front, so it’s easy to plug and unplug iPods, portable CD players, ect.  You can mix up the volume of your iPod, or keep that low and let the speaker do the work.  You have control of what sounds best for your room.  Turn down the bass on that kick mix if it’s echoing.  No problem for this unit.  Need a microphone for that kid’s clinic?  It has inputs for that too.

·         No CD player to break:  By keeping your CD player or iPod as a separate piece, it can’t break and ruin the whole system.  It’s just the speaker, one solid piece with less moving parts to damage with the abuse of a dance team season.  

·         Plugs and plays in strange spots:  I ordered a super long cord for iPod plug in so I don’t even have to be standing close to the unit to change up the song or volume.  It’s small and light, so at my fall practices it sits on top of a pop machine.  Couldn’t do that before.  This is also prepped for mounting on a microphone stand if you want it off the ground.  
Outlet on top of the pop machine?  No problem this time.

·         Loud:  Did I mention it’s loud?  Crisp, clear, punchy bass and I can actually hear the details in the music cuts for a change.  Good for those hard to count songs that would give you trouble on a cheap speaker system.  

I’ve included links to the items I bought on Amazon below – check it out if you’re in need of something affordable, light, and a real workhorse.  Don’t forget this is good for home studios and practicing too.  Let me know if you try this out and love it as much as I do!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment