Monday, August 22, 2011

Vintage Video - St. Cloud Tech Kick 1998


Its time for a vintage video review!  This is one of the all time classics.  This one had to be first because it was the reason I fell in love with kick - way back at State '98.  It was my first state tournament and boy did I have no idea what it was "supposed" to look like.  I think the shine of seeing it live has kinda worn off (and when there weren't all the good dances I've seen in the last 13 years to watch) but there won't ever be another dance that was "the one" so I'll always have a special place in my heart for this one.  Comments on the dance:
- Those costumes, while a little strange, are probably my favorite of the "skater skirt" era. 
-they have a sharpness in their shoulder movements that is lacking today - we should bring that back.  But I think we can all live without those "weenie walks" (as my old coach used to call those shoulder hit walking steps)
- the kicks hold up to today's standards I think - nice angles of what is "open" and what is "front"
- wow that transition by hinges out of straightline is actually a lot harder than you would guess...I've seen something like that go wrong more often than not - impressive
- oh yeah, arm breakdown.  Don't see that anymore.  (well, not much anyways)
- this dance is 4:18.  Oh my.  Talk about legs going to fall off...no wonder there was an arm breakdown - you need the rest! 

Classic, Happy Hardcore, Skater Skirts -  need I say more?!

Get the songs from this mix below on Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment