Wednesday, September 14, 2011

DX Connect Convention Draws Participants from all Across Minnesota


This past Saturday, September 10th, Dance Extreme (formerly UPA) hosted its second ever Connect Convention at Totino Grace High School in Fridley. The first Connect Convention was held last spring, with this being the first fall event for DX. There were over 100 dancers, coaches, and judges in attendance for the event which covered technique, choreography, safety, leadership, and judges’ certification. I got a chance to teach 3 classes and meet some new faces at the event. It was great to see how many dancers came from far away! I’ve included some pictures of my classes and some other events going on that day. I already can’t wait to see the event next year!


The morning started off strong with a turns and combinations class in the main gym – and my awesome assistant (and Cannon Falls graduate) Sara Jensen brought me the customary Saturday morning dance tradition – Chocolate Milk! While my weekdays are usually filled with a mix of diet Mountain Dew and Poweraid – Saturday dance practices have always started with chocolate milk. (Something Sara didn’t forget after having me for 4 years as her coach) Pictures of the class were taken by Sara:







Class 2 was a chance to dig into some kick technique and conditioning. It was great to work with some very talented dancers; I hope your competition is ready for that solid technique you’ll be bringing! After kick flew by, we were back to a leaps class where we talked about combining skills effectively.




After lunch, coaches and judges had a great chance to take the Judges Certification offered by UPA. If you are a coach or judge who hasn’t learned the shorthand system from them – I would get to another class this fall/winter to learn the technique. I love having taken the class last winter – it makes analysis of the competition (and ourselves) so straightforward and fast. In the picture you see superior judge, Sadie Oraskovich, talking about the expectations and criteria for judges.




Overall a very fun and successful day at Totino!

No comments:

Post a Comment